Thursday, October 2, 2014

Storytelling Week 7:The Fortunate Fish-Hook

The Golden Spatula

One time, in a land far away, there were two brothers. One, Bob, was a talented chef at Le Krusty Krabbe, and the other, Pat, was the best contractor in The City. Their work was known throughout the land for being the best in their respective trades. The only problem was that they were so good that they both grew more bored with their jobs.

One day, they went to the pub late at night, had a few drinks, and made an unusual bet. They agreed that the next day, they would each go to the other's job and whoever did the best job won. The chef had a special golden spatula that he claimed added extra flavor to everything he cooked, and he refused to cook without it. The contractor had a lucky pen that he used to sign off on all the blueprints and contracts. Every job he used that pen on was accident free. For that day, they would switch their lucky items to make it more fair. The prize had still not been determined, but it was to be glorious.

The Golden Spatula from Spongebob. Information here.

When morning came, Pat went to his brother's restaurant, and Bob went to the high-rise that his brother was building. By the end of the lunch rush, the sous chef had actually organized a mutiny and kicked out the contractor for the rest of the day. The construction managers "accidentally" locked the chef in a room and left him there for three hours after he had dropped blueprints out of the window on the 39th floor. Needless to say, both were horrible at the other's job.

At the end of the day, both agreed to return the lucky items and call it a draw. Bob handed back the pen, and Pat reached for the spatula and suddenly realized that he no longer had it. Furious, the chef went into a long, gory description of what he would do to his brother if it was not found. The contractor quickly ran back to the restaurant to search for the golden spatula. He searched everywhere, but alas, it could not be found there. Discouraged and afraid, he decided to try to buy a new one. There are not actually any stores that he could find with a solid gold spatula, so he went to a personal jeweler.

When Pat walked into the store, he saw the most beautiful girl in the world. Luckily for him, he had plenty of time to explain his predicament and his unique request. The girl agreed to do the job for him as quickly as she could, but only if he promised to taker her to dinner at Le Krusty Krabbe. The contractor quickly agreed, paid for the new golden spatula in advance, and walked out of the door with a smile on his face.

Author's Note: The Fortunate Fish-Hook features two brothers who are a hunter and a fisherman. When the fish hook is lost, the hunter goes on a long journey to find the fish who has it. He ends up marrying the sea god's daughter and getting them to help him. Then there is like battles and things, but my story did not go into that. So I changed the time and vocation of everyone, but the beginning plot is still the same.

Full story.
F. Champney. Romance of Old Japan Part 1: Mythology and Legend. "The Fortunate Fish-Hook."

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely my favorite story adaptation that I've read so far. Who wouldn't like a fable about Spongebob and Patrick haha? Le Krustty Krabbe would probably be a top-notch restaurant if it were real. Anyways, this was really clever and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I decided to read your storytelling this week for extra credit and I'm so glad I did! When I first clicked on the link, I looked at your picture and immediately got excited. I remember that episode of SpongeBob, and I liked that you used that show to relate to the story you were retelling. Great way of drawing the reader in and making the story relatable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your post! I think the way you set up the story was very different and creative. I admire the fact that you can completely make the story your own while still sticking to the basis of the original story. Overall, I thought it was very well-written, relatable, and interesting!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JD,
    I think it is a lot of fun that you took one of the stories you read this week into the context of Spongebob Squarepants and his pals. It is interesting that Patrick's character is actually good at something. It is a nice twist to the character most of us know. Your story was really enjoyable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that you used Spongebob SquarePants to retell your story! The very first few lines cracked me up so much I had to read them out loud to my two roommates, and they loved it! As I was reading I was picturing Patrick Star actually being a successful and then I started to laugh even more! Either way, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you chose Spongebob for this storytelling, not only do I love Spongebob but it is also the first time I have seen someone use a pop culture reference in their story. It definitely brought in my attention a lot better than the average story, right off the bat I read the introduction like the narrator does in the french accent. My only complaint is that I wish you would have made the story fit more into the character's personalities though since Patrick of course is the best at doing nothing. However, good job!

    ReplyDelete