Thursday, November 13, 2014

Famous Last Words Week 13

The Week Where I Actually Look At The Grades

I have actually been kind of slacking in the assignments. At this moment, I am writing this because I had planned on doing the extra credit that was available to me for the next couple of weeks to guarantee an A. I just did the grade check one, and actually I am still on par to get an A even with my multiple skippings of writing comments on other's stories. Some of the stories are really fun to read, and doing the assignment for those is super easy. However, sometimes you just get that person who clearly had a busy week, so they just retold the story in modern english without changing any part of the story. Those weeks make me want  to quit the assignment early. Anyway, this week has not been a week where I will quit early. I still have to do a storybook assignment (I think), and I promised myself I would do the rest of the assignments until I got enough points to get an A.

Anything other than an A on an online class where I get to make up stories is unacceptable. I have actually really enjoyed getting to write silly stories, and I think I have not been able to do anything like this in so long that stuff just pours out really easily. The only times I have had trouble while writing is making sure that my storybook pages actually somewhat fit the theme and intro that I have. At this point, I am probably going to have to rewrite a lot of the intro. Also, since I have The Doctor as a narrator, there are a lot of people who keep looking back on mine to see what more I have written. Everyone has in their own mind how The Doctor would react in these situations, and I do not want to disappoint them. I really do not let him make any decisions because that is probable the hardest part of a character to reproduce. By just having him narrate, I can repeat his mannerisms and vocabulary easily without having to psychologically dissect the character to find out his actions in a new storyline.

On the other hand, I do not really care if other people think he would react differently because I am the only one doing it. I really was surprised that no one had done it since it was an example in the notes for a narrator.

The Doctor Who Title from the BBC.  Image Info

2 comments:

  1. Hey JD. Your opening line to this post made me laugh. Everyone is certainly getting to the point in the semester where we start adding up our points and seeing what points are still left not only in this class, but our other ones as well! I think that it's great that you are having so much fun with your storybook and I think that it is great that you are more concerned with your feelings about the story than others. This class allows us to use our imagination in the ways that we want - not how others think we should use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD,
    I've been keeping track of my points lately, too. The trouble I have had with online classes before is I try to put in the bare minimum effort in order to get an A, but then something will happen and I miss an assignment and then BOOM: I get a B. So here is to hoping I end up with an A in this one!

    ReplyDelete