Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1: Decisions from the Un-Textbook

For weeks 2 and 3, the category is traditional and biblical stories. I will be choosing one from each of the categories. First, I think I would like to read the stories of Cupid and Psyche. Earlier this summer, I got to go to the Louvre, and there were so many statues and paintings inspired by these stories, but I was really not familiar enough with them to understand what was happening in the art. So, that should be very interesting since so many artists seem to have enjoyed the stories.

On week 3, I will be going with a biblical theme. I think I will be reading the modernized stories of the saints with Saints and Animals. Mostly, I really do not want to get into the problems that may arise when I read something I hold sacred and true, such as the Gospel of Mark, in a mythology class. Yet, for the same reason, the subject does interest me and it should be fun to see these stories told in a different light.

In week 4, a very interesting read would be Arabian Nights. I have read parts of it before, and Aladdin was always my favorite (though I know it is different from the movie). I always find the extremely wealthy lifestyles in the old Middle East very interesting. There have been many changes there over the years, but many things (both bad and good) have still remained constant.

Continuing the earlier theme of the Middle East (sorry India), I will be reading Turkish fairy tales. Turkey was seen as a bridge between Europe and the Middle East, and hopefully these old stories will shed some light on why so many different types of people chose to spend time there. Even if they do not, I am sure it will be much different fairytales I am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment