Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Possible Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that really grabbed my attention was The Unanswered Questions of Pooh and Friends. At first, I thought they may be making fun of Winnie the Pooh and the characters or making them demented or something, but it looks like they are all behaving just like the original characters. In psychology class, we talked about how all the main characters have a basic psychological disorder, such as overeating, depression, anxiety, or ADHD, so I am assuming that is what these stories will deal with. I do find it humorous though and it's not like the author is going to present any seriously threatening problems like Pooh having a heart attack. You can find the story at Pooh.

The next storybook that grabbed my attention was Dragons Anonymous. The introduction is very funny and the website looked fairly well done. I am not that familiar with written stories of dragons, just ones from the movies, but I believe that they generally follow the same rules when it comes to dragons. They are usually the bad guys, or like in this case, seem like the bad guys but are really just misunderstood. The beginning scene is very similar to the opening scene from Wreck-It Ralph when he is at the video game villain support group. Likewise, it seems similar to How to Train Your Dragon, in that dragons are seen as evil, but really they just need to eat. However, in that movie, unlike in this story, the dragons seem dangerous because they are wild and misunderstood. Here, the dragons can talk and I do not yet understand why they do not try to talk to the humans, but I am sure I will find out when I read the rest of the story. This story is at Dragons.

Lastly, a storybook that really hooked me when I first read the title, and even more when I read the funny introduction, is A God Scorned or "How the Greek Gods Need Family Therapy Really Badly." Despite the very pink design of the website and a couple of grammar errors that stuck out to me, the story still seemed like there was so much to build on. I especially think that putting the Greek Gods in a Family Counseling setting is hilarious because they really are the worst behaved and most human gods to ever be made up. Now, I do believe the real life is usually stranger than fiction, but I do not think that when the stories of these gods were told that someone just made it up. I think that the reason they are so jealous and horrible is because the Greeks knew that even when people who are beautiful and powerful are that screwed up that it does not end well. But even if it does read like a bad Telemundo telenovela, at least it will be entertaining. You can find it at Greek gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment